Intake & Reclaim
Found A Stray?
We want to try to reunite every animal with it’s rightful owner and that is why we typically accept stray animals as long as we can humanely house them.
If you have found a stray, please contact the shelter right away by phone at 812-847-4780 or on our Facebook Page. We try to keep track of reports of lost animals to be able to quickly match the animal back to it’s owner. We can help discuss what you would like to do with the animal that you found. We do not pick up animals so if you have a stray, you will be responsible for bringing them to the shelter.
After the animal arrives at the shelter, we will ask that you complete a stray intake form. We will scan the animal for a microchip right away in hopes of quickly finding it’s owner. We will also photograph the animal to post to our Lost and Found Pets Facebook Page.
We hold stray animals for 72 hours to try to find their owner. If the owner is not found during this time, we will then evaluate the animals needs and begin to prepare it found adoption.
Lost An Animal?
If you have lost an animal, please contact the shelter right away by phone at 812-847-4780 or on our Facebook Page. We try to keep track of reports of found animals to be able to quickly match the animal back to it’s owner. We also encourage you to post your list animal to our Lost and Found Pets Facebook Page. This both helps make it more visible but also allows us to keep a photographic record for use in identification of the animals.
Reclaiming An Animal From Our Facility
We ultimately want every animal to be back in it’s home. That is why we accept strays and work diligently to keep track of lost and found animals to quickly pair them back up. We do only keep animals on a stray hold for 72 hours though due to limited space. This is why it is critical to contact the shelter right away if your animal is missing. You will still be able to reclaim your animal after 72 hours if it is still in our facility.
All animals that require proof of ownership. This can include but is not limited to: clear photographs, microchip registration/number, or vet records with detailed animal description.
We do charge reclaim fees to help reimburse us for our costs associated with the care of your animal including any vetting, maintaining our facilities to provide a warm and dry place for them to sleep, food, and staff to care for them. We are a non-profit organization that runs on the generosity of others and these fees allow us to help more animals in need, such as yours. Below is a breakdown of the fees that you may be subject to when reclaiming a lost animal:
- We charge a $10/day reclaim fee. This includes both the day of intake as well as the day of reclaim.
- Please note, if an animal is brought to us by the Linton Animal Control Officer, that the City of Linton requires that you visit the Linton Police Department and pay a $75 fine. You will need to bring us a copy of the receipt of payment. We will not charge you our normal $10/day fee for the first 3 days but will for any days beyond that.
- If our staff believes that your animal required any emergency or urgent medical care, you will be charged the cost of the care.
- After 72 hours, we may start norming vetting. You will be responsible for the costs of any of these items:
- Spay/Neuter – Cost depends on species, gender and weight.
- Microchipping – $20
- Vaccinations – $25
- Heartworm Test – $10
- Flea/Tick Treatment – $15
- You may also be responsible for any other costs of care incurred such as special feed, grooming, etc.
Additionally we do offer some additional services that you can opt to purchase at the time of reclaim:
- Microchipping – $20
- Name Tag – $5
- Collar and/or Leash – Price Varies